Any roof construction project, whether it be a brand-new roof or a replacement roof, requires many decisions on the part of the homeowner. One such decision is the roofing material to use for the project. There’s a broad selection of materials available for residential roofing projects, each one differing in durability, style, price point, and more.
If you’re planning an Englewood roof replacement, plenty of roofing materials are available for you to consider. Here, we’ll describe each option and the benefits that it may provide for your Colorado home.
Asphalt roofing is the most popular residential roofing material in the U.S. Made with a base of fiberglass or cellulose fibers covered in asphalt and mineral granules, asphalt shingles offer protection against UV rays, fire, and moisture. Additionally, given that asphalt shingles are distributed in sheets with sealant strips. This makes them one of the fastest roofing materials to install.
There are three main types of asphalt shingles: three-tab, architectural, and premium. Three-tab shingles are the least expensive and the thinnest. This is the only type of asphalt shingle that can be placed over a layer of existing shingles, if desired. Architectural asphalt shingles are a step above three-tab shingles, with greater layering and depth. Premium asphalt shingles are the priciest option, with a high-end look that can mimic other roofing materials.
The Benefits of Asphalt Shingle Roofing
- Superior affordability when compared to all other roofing materials
- An attractive option for virtually any style of home
- Fiberglass asphalt shingles offer excellent fire resistance
- Many different color and style options are available for asphalt shingles
- Lightweight design, meaning that no extra support is required for an asphalt shingle roof
- Fast, convenient installation
- Simple to repair
While it trails behind asphalt shingle roofing in popularity as a residential roofing material, metal roofing is commonly installed on U.S. homes. With many different types of metal available, including aluminum, steel, copper, and alloy strips, homeowners have the flexibility to select the metal that provides the features that they’re looking for. Metal also has a sleek look and can be found in many different color options for your roof.
While metal can be loud in rainstorms, it provides good weather resistance and is highly environmentally-friendly. Homeowners should note that installing a metal roof is a completely different process than installing an asphalt roof. So, enlisting the help of expert Englewood roofers like the team at RME, who are experts in metal roof installation, is a smart choice.
The Benefits of Metal Roofing
- Lifespan of between 50 and 100 years, with warranties typically ranging from 30 to 50 years
- The ability to reflect the sun’s rays, preventing the transfer of heat into your home that could lead to higher cooling costs
- Recyclability – many metal roofing options are made with recycled materials, and all metal roofs are fully recyclable at the end of their lifespan
- Greater resistance to the formation of ice dams than other roofing materials
- Style options that replicate the look of tile, slate, shingles, shakes, and more
- Many different color options
- Some metal roofing has a Class A fire rating
Slate is a metamorphic rock that’s one of the most long-lasting and durable materials available for residential roofing projects. It’s been used to construct roofing systems for many centuries, making it a time-tested option for various roofing systems. While slate also is of the most expensive roofing materials available, it also provides exceptional longevity. It’s likely that you won’t ever need an Englewood roof replacement if you select slate as your material of choice.
The Benefits of Slate Roofing
- Exceptional longevity, given that slate roofing can last for over a century
- A unique, natural, and high-end look
- High weather-resistance – water can’t seep through slate, and mold doesn’t grow on slate
- Fully fireproof
- Environmentally-friendly, given that slate can be entirely repurposed once it reaches the end of its lifespan
- A range of natural color options
If you’re interested in an Englewood roof replacement, contact RME today. Our team of experienced roofers will help you determine the best roofing material to suit your home’s needs.